Monday, December 15, 2008

Quick Quip: Muncha Muncha Muncha On Envirokidz Gorilla Munch


Savannah’s Natural Food Store- Brighter Day Natural Foods- recently had a 30th Birthday Party which included a marvelous tasting fair. I love going to events like this when I know there will be gluten-free goodies for me to munch on so I don’t have to eat before I go! I happily took any of the free-samples that were gluten-free home to try whenever the snack bug took over. Some of the samples I had tried before but one that was new to be was the Envirokidz Organic Gorilla Munch. I do not have children and have graduated from child-like cereals but I thought I would give it a try.

Envirokidz Organic is a division of Nature’s Path and their focus is on organic foods- not gluten free food. Don’t fret though, many of their products are gluten free including “Amazon Frosted Flakes”, “Gorilla Munch” (similar to KIX), “Koala Krisp” (similar to Rice Krispies), “Leapin Lemurs: Peanut Butter and Chocolate” and “Peanut Butter Panda Puffs”. How fun are those names? What I think is so cool is that they offer a line of products that gluten-free kids can eat and still have fun with, learn about endangered animals and safely enjoy. Also 1% of all sales are donated to endangered species, habitat conservation and environmental education for kids.

So they have fun cereal names appealing to kids, they have organic and gluten free food and they give back to the “greater good” but does their food taste good to adults? Honestly, its not all that shabby! The Gorilla Munch is made or organic corn meal, organic evaporated cane juice and sea salt making it nice and simple. The use of the cane juice makes the cereal sweet but not disgustingly sweet like many of the children’s cereals on the market. My only complaint was that the “munches” stick to your teeth a bit. Other than that- this is a great option for both kids and parents to enjoy- and give back with!



Gluten Free Maven Tip of the Day:
Check each Envirokidz product to ensure it is gluten-free since it is not a gluten-free only company

1 comment:

Jimbo said...

mmmm, gorilla munch is yum! At least thats what this "fatkid" from Maine thinks. gotta love Taco randomness